Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mid-May Garden Update

This post is all about ups and downs in gardening. On the one hand the garden is thriving, everything I planted last year has come back. Things I don't recall having planted are also popping up to say hello. It's not totally peachy though...old ghosts are coming back to haunt in the form of cabbage worm and fungus blight. My kale which once was so promising was destroyed in a matter of days while I was away thanks to cabbage worms. My new hobby is squishing those little green pests. I planted new kale, sprinkled some organic killing product on them and am hoping for the best. The fungus on the grapes and hollyhocks has been there in previous years. I sprayed them with copper but clearly not diligently enough. I now must spray every 2 weeks all summer long. Fortunately it won't mess up the grapes...yet, but I need to get it under control. The hollyhock also stabbed me in the eye, missing my actual eyeball by about a 1/4 inch. This happened while i was laying down drip hose. But I still have my eye and the drip hose is all set now so all's well that ends well. The veggie garden is doing well, the strawberries, figs, rhubarb, peas, raspberries, etc. are looking awesome and I'm hoping for a big ticket gardening season!

No comments:

Post a Comment