Monday, April 14, 2014

April Garden update

Gardening is the best stress reliever...more and more I find myself turning to my garden when I need to relax and get my mind right after a stressful day or incident. Weeding is great therapy and boy have I been doing lots of therapy this month, there are little things popping up every day! Here is a recap of where I am at with this years garden.

A lone, bolting asparagus but great to see signs of life here, they will be amazing someday. Asparagus need several years to establish and are great perennial veggies!

the first signs of life from the dahlias. this year I plan to be much more prepared for how unruly they get and will enact a clever staking technique...it will be so great.

Potted planter dog blocker (note even Gracie's skinny little head is unable to slip through here).

The first of the whatever these are called, they go mad in the early summer. Happy to see them again.

Moss carpet is coming along nicely...its volunteering all over the front yard but I did have to remove some dead stuff and fix a bald spot on this mound.

Neat hanging  planter Colin found for a dollar at a garage sale. And my poodle tree in the background!

Herb garden took off early this year...even the cilantro and the dill are doing great. Added fertilizer in March which helped. Note to self: fertilizing these small patches is vital.

foreground: early spring flower arrangement, background: puppy pile

I spent $10 on the lollipop kale seeds, had to order on the internet and am expecting them to change my life. We'll see! They germinated nicely, but will they produce a bumper crop of this hip and stylish new veggie? Time will tell.

A photo from late march of the veggie garden with the igloos over the peas and tomato.

Peas and tomato are now fully exposed due to the sunny weather and growing really nicely.

Raspberry and (newly planted) blueberry patch.

kale, tomato and pepper seeds early on.
Tomato seedlings growing...
tomatoes, kale, peppers and a couple cukes...outside hardening off.



the beginning of the seedlings.

shade plants in our side yard I never pay attention to but they are so pretty!

succulent garden and nasturtium in the flower box.

the tulips are in full bloom right now...they don't last long but are so lovely while they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment