Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lemon trees don't make a sound...


til branches bend and fruit falls to the ground. Baby, sweet baby.

So today is day #2 of my staycation. I spent the late morning doing some reconnaissance online and at Shonnards about WTF is up with the yellow leaves on my Meyer Lemon tree. Anton actually pointed them out to me and it caused great concern. My lemon tree is my second child...people ask, as "people" do, when are you having a second child? The truth is I already have a second child and it's my lemon tree. I love it...it brings me great joy...it also causes great concern and anxiety much like a human child. It doesn't wake me up at 3am or pee on the rug, so it's actually better than a real child (kidding....sort of).

So the lemon tree was ailing...and I online diagnosed it with needing fertilizer due to the yellowing inner leaves. I also know that it has been suffering from scale attacks for the last couple of months . I've been hand picking them off but they won't go away and it's highly frustrating not to mention totally gnarls in charge.

My ego got a much unneeded boost when the no nonsense lady at Shonnards agreed with me about the need for fertilizier and suggested an organic fertilizer for palm, tropical and hibiscus plants. Of all the options this one is said to provide more blooming advantages (and is also the most expensive). We'll see...but I feel like I'm being a good mommy. I'm not getting the cheap, generic formula that they sell in bulk at Home Depot...i'm getting the organic, perfect formula made with unicorn dust (as my mother would say). Just like I did with Anton, the sky's the limit when it comes to nutrition. As for the scales she said picking them off is a futile exercise as they just lay eggs and never go away unless you KILL them. So I bought the stuff that kills them. It's organic and expensive...don't judge.

Aww what cute little lemon tree..I wuv woo!!



2 comments:

  1. http://thehairpin.com/2011/07/10-small-talk-appropriate-questions-to-ask-instead-of-so-when-are-you-two-going-to-have-kids

    Make me a drink with one of those lemons, stat

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that link! i could add to it 11) it's a shame about that poor Amy Winehouse, what a loss don't you think she was such a talent! (note this person has never heard Amy Winehouse music)

    ReplyDelete