Sunday, September 14, 2014

Summer 2014~a good one!

The summer is basically over...it went by so fast! But looking at my pix from the garden there really were lots of different stages. I think that is something that makes gardening so relaxing...you are able to remember exact moments in the year when the tomatoes were this way or "wow, we got a lemon cucumber each day!"  Little progressions and changes in the food supply help mark the weeks, otherwise they just fly by and you don't even notice what is going on around you. The succulents getting freestyle, the crazy Oregon perennials that just do what they do, moss, volunteer cabbages, European Monster Kale, etc. We got so many tomatoes this year (thanks to starting early and doing a mix of starts in the igloos and seeds indoors) that we are giving them (also peppers and squash) away to passersby. A really nice neighbor lady I had never met before stopped to talk to me today while I was clipping deadheads (dahlias, not hippies) to thank me for the tomatoes and peppers she grabbed the week before. We had a nice chat and then I told her to please take some more! She left with a bounty and gave me some great ideas for tomato recipes. This is what gardens are for. Summer may be over soon but I think I can keep the garden going at least a couple of more months. And then onward to next year! 



these orange cherry tomatoes were sweet as sugar, do these next year! 

afterthought to plant lemon cukes but as always they put out like a boss. Anton has had fresh cucumbers for months...mourning the impending loss of these, they are SO. GOOD.



#marthastewart








making/freezing sauce

Anton grew this sunflower from a seed, it has the biggest stalk I've ever seen!



Easy Tomato Soup! Tomatoes, butter, olive oil, salt & pep. DONE!

Indigo Rose orange tomatoes, these were volunteers in the veggie garden...thanks guys!

These giant slicers were volunteers...I have never seen this before, volunteer tomatoes?

Late summer in the veggie garden

Raspberries are still going strong...need to figure out a better layout for next year....need better staking for easier picking, feel me?

tomatoes rescued from the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment