Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meyer Lemon Tree blues

I have been reticent to post about my lemon tree but it's time I just let the truth come out. I am the Susan Smith, the Scott Peterson, the.....well, just a really bad parent to my second child, the meyer lemon tree. You may recall I referred to my lemon tree as my second child and I truly love(d) it. But love apparently is not going to make it come back from the grave. I killed it. I left it out one night back in Sept. when it was sunny all day, warm and lovely. We had house guests, however, and I was distracted. I left it out over night, and it got too cold outside. All it takes is a few hours below 32 degrees and apparently the angel of citrus death swoops in. It lost almost all of it's leaves within a week...it still has a few little unripened fruits on but it never releafed. It looks like a sad little Charlie Brown Christmas tree.It may still come back to life but I can't bear the day to day uncertainty...so I did something that you can do with lemon trees much easier than with people. I bought a new one! It's smaller, but it's blossoming so it'll give us that wonderful smell in the house during the doldrums of winter, and hopefully grow to have a happy,productive and long life. And hopefully I won't kill it.

No comments:

Post a Comment